Having a bit of a lazy day around the house today. I’m kicking a cold and Jon’s taking his one day off in the past couple weeks. It’s also our last day off for a while with the craziness of school holidays arriving this week. The house was a bit cold so Jon recommended I bake something. We went with granola. How American of us!
I scanned through quite a few recipes and combined their ideas along with keeping in mind what we had in the cupboard and a bit of my own creativity. Here’s the final recipe we ended up with. You could also add some nuts or other dried fruit. Let me know what other things you try! Enjoy!
Erin’s Vegan Granola
- 4 cups whole grain oats (don’t use quick oats – you’ll really sacrifice the texture and LOVE of this granola)
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt (any salt will do really)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or vegan butter, or real butter if you don’t swing vegan)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp REAL vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine oats, coconut, cinnamon, allspice, salt and flax seed in a large bowl
- Melt the honey to a very pour-able consistency and combine with brown sugar and oil
- Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients until thoroughly coated and combined. Chunks are okay and even a good thing!
- Place in oven and keep an eye on it. Give it a good stir every 10 minutes, until crispy. Ours took about 40 minutes.
- Pull from oven. Sprinkle with raisins and allow to cool.