In the past few days, I’ve been able to develop some awesome one legged modified yoga, which is going alright. Probably pretty awkward if people were watching, but the movement in my body and spine feels incredible. I’ve also been able to spend some time on the spin bike. If nothing else, it gets me out of the house.
I got myself some flowers yesterday to cheer myself up, it seemed to help.
Also, a lovely care package from Mom arrived with fresh s’mores ingredients straight from America! It’s about as close as you can get to sending a puppy and a hug in a box. Thanks Mom!
Yesterday I received my full MRI Reading. Whoa. Turns out I blasted my ankle. I’m still mindblown as there was no significant trauma, no significant event. The findings would lead you to believe I did something epic, but alas, that’s not the case. [well, except for that Moa chasing me] I am incredibly thankful for J’s support and the MRI for helping us get to the bottom of it. All that running around the country feels justified. For the medical minds, here it is in writing.
- Non-displaced traverse fracture of the distal fibula with adjacent marrow and soft tissue oedema
- Talar dome chondral defect with underlying marrow oedema
- Lateral ligament(s) injury
a. High grade partial/complete ATFL tear
b. Low grade partial thickniss CFL tear
c. Increased T2 signal with the PTFL
- Peroneal tendinopathy and tenosynovitis
For the visual learners, I’ve made you some pictures (and for my own benefit as well).
Feel like you just got blasted with a lot more information than you wanted? Me too.
What does this mean going forward? A few things.
- No high impact activity for 3 months from the injury (What up November 18th?!)
- I get to start physio on Monday (I’m honestly so excited for this. I’m ready to work hard to get strong and recovered as soon as possible.)
- Need to be patient with rest and rehab
- I have approximately zero lateral stability in my ankle
- Find out more about the extent of the damage to the ATFL as recovery continues
I’ll know more as physio begins and I can see my strength/weakness and get a more accurate assessment of timeframes, etc going forward.