I’ve been craving pancakes. And oats. And pancakes with oats. We also have an abundance of cornmeal so I modified and adapted a few recipes, and this was the hearty, delicious, filling result.
Spiced Cornmeal & Oat Pancakes
Yields 12 pancakes (about 115 calories each)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup wholegrain oats (don’t use quick oats)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat the eggs and the milk in a medium bowl until combined, then stir in the melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Cook on the hot griddle as you would any pancake.
Serve as desired. Great with fresh berries and agave nectar. I just had mine with the best plain yogurt from The Collective Dairy New Zealand and some strawberry & rhubarb preserves.