So it turns out when we have a summer, we can’t get enough ice cream. However, with where we live the availability of dairy free ice cream is kind of tricky and when we do find it it’s tourist priced. So, I found myself a nice Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (thanks Basalt Thrift Store) and have been experimenting with various recipes. Now that I’ve nailed down our favorite one, I thought I’d share.
- 2 cans coconut milk (don’t use ‘light’) that have been refrigerated (I refrigerate overnight so they’re extra chilled)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tbsp bourbon or scotch
- anything crunchy you desire to add inn *optional* [choco chips, nuts, etc]
- Open coconut milk after refrigerated for a minimum of overnight. Try to use only the ‘cream’ and less of the ‘water’. This will help with a richer, creamier end result.
- Combine all ingredients except for the crunchy bits in a blender.
- Pour into ice cream maker
- After about 20 minutes or so, when the ice cream is most similar to ‘soft serve’, add your crunchy things
- After about 5 minutes or so, the ice cream should be more frozen and nice and mixed up with crunchy bits
- Scoop and enjoy!