This is my go to pesto recipe – super easy and keeps well in the fridge in a jar (to prevent spoiling, cover pesto in a generous layer of olive oil in a sealed jar)
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil (can sub some or all with arugula for a spicier flavor)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (can sub walnuts)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped (less or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt (love Maldon) and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon joice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (can sub Parmesan cheese here if you do dairy)
- Place the basil, nuts, and garlic in a food processor fitted with chopping blade. Pulse to combine, until the mixture is coarsely ground.
- Turn the motor on and drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the sea salt, pepper, lemon, and nutritional yeast, and pulse a few more times to combine.